Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Horrid Vegetables


My friend invited me to come over for an afternoon of painting. We set this still-life up and set about painting. One thing I found about about myself is that I am terrified to paint in front of others. My fear is all tied up in that nasty thing called ego. What a multi-layered journey this will be for me. The painting I did that day was so horrific. I took a picture of the still we had set up and re-painted it from scratch at home. The fact that I was breathing had a profound effect on my ability to see and move the brush. Ha-Ha! I had fun painting it this time. Painter, Jerry Fresia, says it best, "Our task is not to make an amazing thing called art. Our task is to get a thrill from what we see. When we are moved, we will move others. So the point is not to intend a great painting but to intend a great experience. Look for pleasure, not results. Get to the pleasure and the amazing thing called art will follow."

1 comment:

  1. I won't peek at your painting. I feel the same way about the thought of being on stage--can't bear the thought of people watching me attempt to act. Of course, on stage, the whole point is people will watch. Painting---not so much. :)

    ReplyDelete